Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Song of the Phoenix

From Ashes by Molyy McAdams
I wasn't a huge fan of McAdams' Taking Chances, so was a little skeptical going into this. From the first few pages it seems like I had the right to be, since the same insta-love, where two characters are head over heels before they even speak, was there again. Except the more I got into the story, the more I found myself enjoying myself.

One of my frustrations with Taking Chances, was that every character seemed to make such stupid decisions. Thankfully this wasn't the case with this one. No the characters weren't perfect, but I could at least understand why they were making their choices, and in a lot of situations think I would have made similar ones.

My favorite aspect of the story was that it was a girl from Southern California falling for a guy from the South. Her being surprised when people said ma'am. Her being called a Yankee, even though no one from California thinks of themselves as Northern. Her not understanding just how big college football is. All things that reminded me of my own journeu from L.A. to LA. And since her love interest grew up on a cattle ranch, it feels like there's a bit of Pioneer Woman mixed into it all as well.

I can't necessarily say I fell in love with this book. But I can say by the end, I definitely had a lot of fun with it. And while I wouldn't have expected to say this, think I'd actually enjoy reading more of McAdams' books.

4/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment