Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Take a Chance on Me

Taking Chances by Molly McAdams
I'm still trying to process my feelings about this book. It's titled Taking Chances, but I think a more appropriate description would be Making Stupid Decisions. I'm actually a little in disbelief that there's a person out there who would make such bad decision after bad decision. But even more, there was no one in her life that ever stopped or question one of Harper's decisions. Every enabled her, and the entire time I just wanted to shake some sense in her.

I've her people complain about insta-love before, but I've never read a book where it really bothered me. Except here it was so over the top, and with multiple guys, that I noticed it. But more than that, there was the insta-best friend, and the insta-new parents. All these relationships didn't feel believable.

The only thing I can compare this to is a soap opera, but some people love soap operas. And I've even been know to enjoy a few. Still it felt like drama just to create drama. But I will say, I don't remember the last time I got so worked up by a book that I was literary yelling out loud at it.

This is the first new adult book I've read, and the biggest difference I noticed between YA is that since they're adults they don't have anyone to answer to. Instead they can go party, hook up, and do whatever else they want because they're grown now, and no one can tell them what to do.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this, but in no way could I ever have seen this roller coaster coming. Part of me wants to hate it, and yet I can't quite hate a book that gets me so worked up.

3.5/5

Be sure to come back later today for my review of Molly McAdams second novel, From Ashes!

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. new adult, is that what they're calling them? pretty funny. I read Beautiful Disaster which is in that category since it's about college kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't quite hate a book that gets me so worked up" - I know exactly what you mean! It takes a good author to get readers that involved in a book, especially one that isn't otherwise a favorite for you.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete