Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Wednesday

Today I thought I'd join in on Suz'z Pinterest Inspried Wednesday with this pin.


To be honest I may have cheated slightly on the "Pinterest Inspired" part. I did know I wanted to make a spinach lasagna, and thought I had a pin to fit that. But the pins that I had were for a crock pot version, and while I could have made that work, I didn't want to think that hard. So instead I did a search for "lasagna with spinach" and pinned it so it would be there waiting for me when I went to cook it.

I didn't follow the recipe exactly and wound up going with ground beef instead of turkey sausage. I didn't add ricotta, since I'm not a huge fan of it. Also instead of a 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes, I went with a 14-oz can of tomato sauce and a 14-oz can of, I believe, diced tomatoes. I know the boy isn't a huge fan of tomatoes, so I figured I'd combine them so it wasn't as chunky.

Except the boy saw what my plan was, asked that we could split the lasagna in half, and his would have the tomato sauce and mine with the diced tomatoes. Since we were splitting the tomato sauce we decided to go all the way, which meant his side had goat cheese along with mozzarella and parmesan, plus a much higher cheese to pasta ratio. We did wind up a little short on tomato sauce for the top layer, which I think was due more to our rationing than anything else, and made the top layer a little crunchy. But I think next time we'll just get a little more tomato sauce to start with.
Lasagna
Yes, this slice is from my half of the lasagna
We both wound up being pretty big fans of this, the boy because it was short on tomato (which he doesn't like) and included spinach (which is one of his favorites). Myself, because I'm obsessed with all things lasagna. And it's definitely something that I see us making, and hopefully perfecting, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment