Thursday, March 15, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake

Yesterday I introduced my cake baker, and discussed the process I went through to find them. But today we're going to go over the actual cake in a little more detail.

I was asked to bring any inspiration photos I had to the appointment. Which for me meant printing off my cake board on pinterest. I never consciously made the board, it was more of when I saw pictures I liked I pinned them, so it included a range of images. I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted, but looking at the pictures together a theme came through. All of them were fairly simple, and most had some type ribbon at the bottom of each tier. I pointed out my favorite image to the owner, and told her this was basically what I wanted.

Mrs. Mascara's Cake
Except I wanted the cakes to be square, so basically the cake above (which is actually Mrs. Mascara's) mixed with this one as well.

Source
Once she knew what I was looking for she started planning how we she'd actually carry out the vision. We would do a white buttercream frosting on the actual cake. The ribbon would be fondant dyed to match the bridesmaids' dresses. And we would do a gumpaste rose on the middle that would be a light yellow. (She actually told me the gumpaste flower would keep for years. As it hardened it would turn into almost a porcelain-like flower that I could keep on a dresser as a reminder of the wedding.)

We didn't decide on flavors, since I need to actually arrange a day to pick up the flavors I want to try to make a decision. But besides that in about an hour we had the cake completely designed. I was a little surprised because I wasn't expecting to leave the appointment with such a firm decision on what the cake would look like and with such detail. (Especially since the first baker I went didn't take the time to do the same.) And since who doesn't love looking at cake, I figured I'd share a few more of my inspiration photos.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source
Did you have a hard time decided on a cake design or did your baker surprise you? And which of these cake pictures would you pick as a favorite?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is that top one, but i love the squared ones also! My baker was kind of the same, i brought her two pics & showed her what i liked about each one. It ended up being one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the way it sounds, it's going to be amazing!!! I can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete