Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Another Farewell

Last week I got a voicemail from the sister of one of my college friend. I've never received a phone call her her before, and while we had met it was only once or twice. Thinking the worst I checked facebook before I called her back, and unfortunately my thoughts were correct. There were already people writing on my friend's wall sending condolences and saying she'd be missed.

With a heavy heart I called my friend's sister back to express my condolences, which is where I heard the story of her death.

Driving into work my friend hit a a hunter who was standing or trying to cross the highway. It still wasn't completely light out and he was also wearing camouflage. My friend did what I would probably do, and got out of the car to see if he was ok and to call 911. Unfortunately, a second car came, which hit and ultimately killed them the two of them.

I won't say that she and I were best friends, but we still kept in touch. I last talked to her back in November when my mom died. I called her to let her know what happened (and somewhat to hear how she coped losing her dad a few months before her own wedding), and she called me back a few days later to see how I was doing. I last saw her two years ago when she and her husband came out to visit Louisiana (which I even blogged about) and I was looking forward to seeing her at our wedding.

With the way 2011 ended for me, I was glad that I was starting off 2012 with a fresh slate. Except I never expected this to happen, and to be hit with death once again. I realize losing my friend doesn't compare to losing my mom, but it's definitely brought all those feelings back. And I can't even imagine what her family must be going through.

I'm ending here with the last photo I have with my friend at Oak Alley Plantation. A friend who was one of the nicest and smartest people I knew, and probably the reason why I passed several of my classes back in college.
Me and Megan

6 comments:

  1. Oh Shoshanah. I am so sorry. What a tragic accident. Thinking of you and your friends family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible accident! I'm sorry that you lost her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a tragic story, I can't imagine what her family is going through. Keeping you and her family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so so sorry. What a tragic loss. My heart goes out to you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sad. I'm so sorry that you lost a dear friend. I will keep you and her family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horrible tragedy. So so sorry.

    ReplyDelete