Friday, January 6, 2012

Brighton to London

One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner
One morning on the train from Brighton to London a man has a heart attack and almost instantly passes away. What we, as a reader, then experience are the seven days that follow from the point of view of the random observer, his wife, and her best friend.

Going into this book I knew it dealt with death and coincidentally have had to experience it firsthand recently I wasn't sure how I would feel reading it. But I think that if I had read it in a different mind set, I wouldn't quite have felt the connection I did. I couldn't help by identify with Karen as she's dealing with her husband's death and having to plan his funeral. I won't say it's anywhere near the exact same situation, but in a way it was comforting to read about someone else going through such a similar situation.

Reading this book now, instead of year ago made it a difference experience for me. There's things I would have enjoyed regardless, for example that the book is without a doubt British a place I always love reading about, but I can't help but wonder how I would have felt about this book with a different point of view. For that reason, it was a great book for me, but it's hard to say how I'd feel if I hadn't been able to connect with the story so easily.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment