Saturday, November 19, 2011

Play or Get Played

The Julian Game by Adele Griffin
This is the first book I've read where facebook really played a part. It's surprising on a way considering how facebook obsessed I can be, but it's also a sign of how quickly our world has changed with social media that contemporary books haven't quite caught in. In the story Raye decides to create a fake facebook account for fun at first, but then is lead into trying to take revenge on Julian one of the hottest boys in town.

Honestly reading this made me glad that I'm not in high school today. Part of me thinks it would be fun to have had facebook around back in high school. But what I didn't have to really deal with 10 years ago, was the thought that your actions in high school could stay with you and be online forever.

This was a really interesting story and unlike anything I've ever read. Although I have read books about bullying (Judy Blume's Blubber comes first to mind) it's nothing like the cyberbulling done in here. Throughout the book I really felt for Raye. While I didn't necessary approve of some of her decisions, and it's easy to see why same made them.

It's definitely a book I'm glad I had the chance to read, and honestly it surprised me a little by how much I enjoyed it.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment