Wednesday, September 14, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 9

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving
I will admit that I'm a little leery of book recommendations at times. Not that I don't appreciated. But more that if someone makes a point to tell me to read a book, my initial thought is, "If it was really that good, I would have discovered it myself." Of course this isn't always true, and some of my favorite books were those I initially dismissed and wound up loving.

I have two books that fit this category perfectly. In both cases a friend of family member lent me the book and told me I would love it. Both times I didn't believe them, except both times I fell in love, not just with the book but the rest of the books in the series. I feel a little embarrassed now admitting it, because of how much I now love them, but the two books that best fir the description of a book I didn't think I'd enjoy are...
The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
Are you surprised by my choices? How willing are you to take a book recommendation? And what books did you think you wouldn't like but ended up loving?

3 comments:

  1. I take book recommendations all the time. There are so many books out there I need others to tell me about the good ones. I have read just about every book I that was recommended to me. I have read some real doozies but I still appreciated someone telling me about the book.
    I've been wanting to read the Mortal Instruments series but haven't gotten around to it. I've never heard of The Tea Rose but I'll take a look at it. If you enjoyed it I probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you read City of Bones! I've noticed this book and several readers that read the same books as me (now you're on the list!) have read it and loved it...
    I totally trust book recs if it's from someone that has liked the same books as me in the past, which is one of the reasons I love Goodreads so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tea Rose has forever been on my wishlist. City of Bones didn't really capture me, but I read it right after reading Mockingjay. I think I really need to give the series another chance.

    ReplyDelete