Friday, August 26, 2011

My Zombie Boyfriend

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey
Going into this I wasn't really sure what to expect. It seems like everyone has their own copy of it to read, and with such a big marketing push I was a little weary that there was a bad reason behind it. And then there's the fact it's a zombie books, which turns me off a little, and is part of the reason I've never read a zombie book. But I'm glad I gave it chance, because I wound up being really pleasantly surprised.

The books starts almost in the middle of the story and Wren has already brought her boyfriend back from the dead. I think that worked for the story, because if I had to read the choices Wren made to get to the place where she made that decision it would may have been difficult to understand. Instead we're with Wren as she's having to deal with the consequences of her decision, how to keep her zombie boyfriend hidden from her mom, her sister, and all her friends. It's almost heartbreaking reading just how lost Wren feels in this mess and how she doesn't seem to have anyone to turn to.

I think my biggest frustration with this book, was Wren's unwillingness to open up to her mom. I understand that it's a YA book and that as a teenager there's stuff you don't want to tell your parents. I also get that there's no guarantee that Wren's mom could have helped. But Wren just seemed so lost and confused throughout the book, that I was dying for her to be able to confess to her mom, to hopefully get at least a little comfort or even a little guidance.

While the book is a zombie book, it doesn't really feel like one. So much of the book is Wren dealing with her feelings of loss from the death of her boyfriend in a car crash. And I'm sure anyone going through that situation would wonder, what if I could bring him back? Wren has that ability (although the reasons behind that ability remain much of a mystery even through the books end), and is able to do so without really thinking about the consequences, which again is part of normal teenage behavior. You can't help but feel for Wren throughout the book, and even if the zombie aspect turns you off, I think it's one that you definitely take a chance on.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment