Wednesday, August 17, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 4

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series
Last week I let you know that The Betsy-Tacy Series is my favorite, as to my favorite book in the series it has to be...
Betsy and Joe
This is the 8th book in the series, which I think could be unexpected since so often the 1st few are the most memorable. This isn't the cover I read growing up, in fact I can't seem to find a picture of that cover anywhere online. But I figured if I couldn't use my cover I would use a vintage-y one.

And as for why it's my favorite, I think a lot of it is that it's the most romantic of the series. I mean just look and the name? But it's not overly sappy and doesn't come off as cliched. Plus this is also Betsy's senior year of high school, and I think it so much fun to read about all our standard high school traditions (prom, school pranks, parties, dating, and even somewhat of a high school musical) but the way they occurred in the early 1900s. Honestly you forget that these books don't take place in the present, and they don't really read as historical fiction because so much of high school is still the same that's it's so easy to relate to.

This isn't the last of the series, although I think it was initially written to be. In fact, after this book chronologically the next is Carney's House Party instead of Betsy and the Great World. Although back when I first read them Carney (as well as Emily of Deep Valley and Winona's Pony Cart) were out of print, so I went right to the next with from Betsy's point of view. But I do think that the way it ended, and knowing Carney was written next, Maude would have been more than happy to have this be the end to the series. Although I'm happy to say it's not and we were able to journey with Betsy a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment