Friday, December 10, 2010

To Triumph

Triumph: Life After the Cult - A Survivor's Lessons by Carolyn Jessop with Laura Palmer
After I finished reading Escape I knew I had to read the follow up. I just wanted to know what have developed in this family's life. While I am glad I finally settled my curiosity, overall I was a little disappointed with this book.

I think so much of it felt like a rehash of the first. I had read the first book, so it felt like quite a bit was repetitive. Clearly if you haven't read her first memoir this would be helpful, but I had so it wasn't. Also little things that bugged me about the first that I was able to set aside because I loved it so much, well I couldn't set aside this time. It just didn't feel like there was a good order to the book. Things weren't really chronological and it was a bit difficult to follow along.

But in some ways this was written as a user manual to achieve what Carolyn was able to do. In a way that worked, but that wasn't what I was looking for when reading this book. Like I said I really just wanted an update on the family. And while the last few chapter especially, do have this update I'm sure I could have found that information online without reading the whole book. But I enjoyed reading Escape so much, I know I would have always wanted to read the follow up. So in that sense I am glad I read Triumph. But to be honest, I would probably have to recommend sticking with Carolyn Jessop's first memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment