Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Taste of the Trip

I promise this will be the last post about my family's visit, but really I'm saving the best for last because this is about all the food. To start with on the nice parts of having my parents living with me for a few days was coming home to a home cooked meal, like these two pizzas.
Pizza! Pizza!
On the left is the pepperoni pizza requested by the boy and on the right is the mainly veggie pizzas. They were made using dough bought at Whole Foods. They turned out really good, and really should be inspiring me to make dinner more often once I get home from work.

Besides the meals in, there were quite a few out on the town. Maybe you noticed when I posted my pictures of Houmas House last week, but we were actually there twice. We went back a second time to try out there brunch. I decided to go with their eggs creole.
Eggs Creole
It was like an eggs benedict, but with fried eggplant instead of a muffin and sausage instead of ham. The entire thing was delicious down to the last bit of carrot.

But the high point of the trip, at least food-wise, was probably our meal in New Orleans at Cochon. To start with we split a bunch of appetizers at the table.
Appetizers
On here there's two kinds of boudin, alligator, shrimp, homemade pickle, and toast and meats from a charcuterie plate.

For my main course I went with a rabbit stew with cornbread dumplings. (I think the cornbread dumplings were probably the best part of it.)
Rabbit Stew

Of course there was dessert, and I had peanut butter pie which came with a homemade peanut butter cookie.
Peanut Butter Pie
Yes, everything was delicious. Not just at Cochon, but pretty much every meal I had while they were here. In a way it was like having my own private chef for the week, and who wouldn't enjoy that?

~Shoshanah

6 comments:

  1. SO JEALOUS that you came home to those pizza's cooking for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my mouth is watering. YUM! Homemade Pizza is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between the peanut butter pie and the cornbread dumplings, I think I could survive on New Orleans food just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pictures of food! Louisiana has the best food in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE eggs benedict and I LOVE eggplant. I better try that one!

    ReplyDelete