Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Perfect Beach Read?

Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
I started reading this book at the beach read thinking it was the perfect choice. After all it's by Jennifer Weiner who write pretty amazing chick-lit, and there's even a beach on the cover. But I was a bit surprised, but not necessarily disappointed, to find that it wasn't quite beach read material. Although I knew what the basic story was going into it so it shouldn't have been to big of a shock.

The book tells the story of Sylvie Serfer and what happens to her and her two daughters when he politician husband has an affair that the media discovered. It's not really light material, which made it a bit deeper than your average ocean side escape. It wasn't the syrup-y sweet read I wanted, but even so I was still a fan.

I think it's the perfect time for the book considering how often this same story has broke lately. I enjoyed all the pop-culture reference that you could discover even though names weren't actually used. I mean when she mentions the golfer who cheats on his wife with an uncountable number of girls, or the biker guy who cheats on his award winning actress wife, who do you think of? I also loved how this awful event was able to bring the women in the family closer together, than they otherwise would have been.

I really did enjoy the book, despite the fact I wouldn't consider it to be the ultimate beach read. But since summer's on it's way out maybe it's the perfect time to pick it up!

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. Once I get through my giant stack of books I'll have to get this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read much by her but your review is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jennifer Weiner! Little Earthquakes is my fav.

    I need to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Good to know that it's the super-light beach read that you might think it is based on the cover...

    I also like it when books reference pop culture events that I recognize!

    ReplyDelete