Monday, August 30, 2010

How Do You Say...

The other day my co-workers and I got into a discussion over how you say:
source
This isn't the first time I've had this discussion. My and the boy have this argument talk all the time. What's this discreprency? Well I say "car-mel" and he says "care-a-mel."

I've actually gone to Starbucks and tried to order a "car-mel" frapicino. When she had no idea what I was talking about. But once I changed my order to a "care-a-mel" frapicino there was no language barrier.

And according to the boy there's an old Snickers commericial where Shaq argues with a kid on the right way to say caramel. We all know that the "right" way to say it is the way I do, as "car-mel." But how do you say caramel? If there some other pronuciation that I'm not even aware of?

~Shoshanah

8 comments:

  1. I say it like the boy - care-a-mel! Ha, I don't know why though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say care-a-mel.... car-mel sounds weird to me...
    Then again, go start up a discussion about Pecans.... That always gets people going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely Care-a-mel. The other way sounds weird to me though I do have a couple friends who say it... one says it more like Car-MO though. She had a cat named Car-mo and I had know idea until I saw it written down one day that it was meant to be Caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say car-mel. I think it depends on where you are from and regional accents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so weird but I say it different ways for different things:

    Car-mel apple
    Car-a-mel Machiatto
    Car-mel sundae
    Car-a-mel swirl

    I know...I'm so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say car-mel. I would get funny looks if I said car-a-mel!!

    ReplyDelete