Monday, July 19, 2010

Inception of the Sorcerer's Predators

Predators
I had never seen any type of Predators movie and was quite content keeping that streak alive. And yet somehow I wound up seeing this movie. Clearly it wasn't my choice.

Before we saw the movie the boy gave me a quick recap of series. Basically the Predator alien love to hunt, and its not so much about reaching the target but the game of it. So the movie wasn't bad for the type of the movie it was. According to the boy it's the best Predator movie after the first. Topher Grace was the highlight of the movie for me, but even he wasn't enough for me to really enjoy it.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
I'm a little surprised at how poorly this movie has done considering how enjoyable the movie was. The movie is basically "inspired" by the Sorcerer's Apprentice scene in Fantasia. When I saw inspired I mean, they wanted to turn that scene into a live action and somewhat were able to create a movie that it somewhat "fit" into. But the big scene was a lot of fun, and as expected one of the high points of the movie.

Overall I think fun is the best way to sum up this movie. They tried to throw in an interesting back story with Merlin, and there's a bit of a romantic story. But overall I think its hard to turn something so small as a single Mickey short into a full length Disney movie. I wouldn't call it the best film of the summer, but it's definitely the type of movie to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Inception
Believe the hype with the one. It really is as good as everyone is saying. In the simplest terms possible it's about being able to escape into the dream world. But really its so much more than that. It makes you question what real and what's an illusion in your current life. And then there's the ending! You're going to want to see this mainly so you can question the ending with everyone else. (As for me, I like to say it has a happy ending.)

What I was surprised to see was the wide range of demographics in the theater itself. There were groups of guys and groups of girls, older couples, as well as high school students. That's actually a good way to describe the movie since it had something for everyone. There was some romance, good action scenes, as well as the fact that it really makes you think. Like I said, its definitely worth it, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are still talking about it come awards season.

So in case you couldn't tell during my reviews, I'd say skip Predators, wait for dvd on The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and go see Inception now.

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. I saw Predators and Inception this weekend. Definitely agree with you about Predators - I thought it was awful! But, I loved Inception! It was so good and I want to see it again so I can look for things I probably missed the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had NEVER heard of Inception until this weekend when Twitter EXPLODED with ppl talking about it! SO I youtubed the trailer. I pretty much adore Leo and all his movies, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too. Really looking forward to seeing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mwhahahaha, I did the exact SAME THING as Amber did... Hadn't heard a thing about it till Friday. Now, I'm dying to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inception was amazing! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete