Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting Figgy With It

Ripe Figs
The time has come and the figs in the backyard are finally ripe. I didn't remember liking figs previously, but since I had so many growing in my backyard I had to try them. So this past weekend I settled down with Breaking Dawn and a few figs to try (as well as some other snacks just in case).
Ready for the Sun
Turns out I like figs. Or at least I like fig fresh picked from my backyard. (I have a feeling store bought figs don't quite taste the same.) It's a good thing I love them because we have tons.
Inside a Fig
I probably ate 15 or so just over the weekend. And the boy's parents stopped by and grabbed a bagful for themselves. If I had to guess there's probably 20 or so ripe figs still on the tree, but twice as many that are still green. Looks like I'll have figs to snack on for a while now!
Figs in Hand
Anyone else a fan of figs? Or have any ideas of good ways to use the figs that doesn't involve me eating them straight off the tree?

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. I bought some fresh figs at Costco over the weekend and have been slowly eating them all. I love fresh figs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that they came from your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never actually tried figs but I saw on a food blog that they go good with ricotta cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never actually tried figs but I saw on a food blog that they go good with ricotta cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont think I have ever had a fig that wasnt inside a fig newton! could you add them to salads? I feel like I have seen that done before. way to go on the backyard produce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mom just made a ton of fig jam with some figs she picked off her neighbor's tree.

    I LOVE figs. I like to eat them plain! Be careful, though, and not eat too many. ;) They are pretty high in fiber! LOL

    ReplyDelete