Wednesday, July 7, 2010

California Gurls

I've really been loving the new Katy Perry song. Of course the fact that its called California Gurls makes it almost impossible for me not to love. Since I grew up in California I have a soft spot for any some that reminds me of home. So I figured I'd share a few of the songs that remind me of home.

First there's the original California Girls by The Beach Boys

And who could forget the classic California Dreaming by The Mamas & The Papas

Getting a little more modern with California Love by 2Pac

And a little bit closer to my actual home, I love L.A. by Randy Newman

Not only can I find songs about California in general, and even Los Angeles, there's a few songs that remind me of my home town of Long Beach specifically.

We have Snoop Dogg's Gin & Juice, which starts with that classic line "With so much drama in the L.B.C." Yes, that's me, lots of drama!

And who could forget Sublime. I thought about going with Doin' Time, since I'm clearly "well-qualified to represent the L.B.C." But I went with April 1992, since one the addresses listed in the police background tape is only a few blocks from the house I grew up in.
I hope you guys have enjoyed this little musical tribute to home state and hometown. Do you have a favorite song (or two) that reminds you of home?

~Shoshanah

5 comments:

  1. How can anyone NOT love California?? Seriously, probably one of my favorite states and I have only been to Southern Cali... excited to someday visit the northern part of the state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when you are from a place that is as cool as North Dakota, they shockingly don't write songs about you! What? How is that possible, right?

    Love the musical review of CA songs! Lots of good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who I really like that Katy Perry song. Adding it to my running playlist now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I get that Katy Perry song stuck in our heads all the time.

    Song that makes me think of my hometown:

    Do Whatcha Wanna....
    They All Asked for You
    Iko Iko
    The Second Line

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all these songs esp Sublime they always remind me of summer. I guess for me I'll go for the obvious choices and say that Shipping out to Boston and Dirty Water always remind me of home!

    ReplyDelete