Thursday, June 17, 2010

More Mortal Instruments

City of Ashes by Cassanda Clare
When I read City of Bones the first book in The Mortal Instrument series, I enjoyed it but didn't quite feel a spark. But with book I was definitely feeling it. I think it was partly because so much of the first book was used to develop the world of the Shadowhunters. By the time we get to the second we know all about the characters and their demon-hunting ways so instead we can focus more on the actual story.

While I really enjoy the book, there was at least one detail that seemed to get to me. Throughout the book various adults kept trying to tell Clary and Jace a big revelation about themselves. But they never seemed to finish their thought, and even though as a reader I could sense it was going to be something big, the characters barely knew it was happening. I will admit that while it was frustrating to me as a reader, I do think the author was able to get her point across.

The book definitely ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, far more than the first. And this time the next book I'll be reading will be the third book in this trilogy.

~Shoshanah

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen this book! It sounds good, I'll have to add it to my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book list! I have made it a goal to try and read more. I can't wait to read your thoughts on other books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment!! Can't wait to keep up with your blog!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete