Thursday, June 24, 2010

Making a Cake

Last week I posted about making lemon risotto. In the post I mentioned I had a good amount of leftovers. My mom made note of that and sent me a recipe for risotto cakes. It turned out to be a great way use up most of the risotto left in the fridge. Here's the recipe, courtesy of my mom.

Risotto Cakes
Take the cold risotto out of the fridge. Make it into little cakes about 2-3” in diameter. Make them flat like thick pancakes.
Risotto Cakes
Beat an egg with a little water in a bowl. Have another bowl of bread crumbs (panko-the Japanese ones are really good, but you could use any kind).
Dipping the Cake
Dip the cakes in the beaten egg then the crumbs.
Coating the Cake
Saute in olive oil (be sure the pan is hot, then add the oil) til crispy and golden brown on both sides.
Frying Cakes
Overall I think it turned out really good, and I think it was a great way to use up the leftovers. Although I had some of the cakes break apart when I dipped them into the eggs. You can kind of tell which ones those were by looking at them in the frying pan. But they tasted great. They were still nice and lemon-y, but sauteing them gave them a nice little crunch.
Risotto Cakes
Anyone else have any creative ways to use up leftovers? Whether its leftover risotto or something else I'd love to hear them!

~Shoshanah

3 comments: