Monday, March 22, 2010

The Movie Version

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid
I haven't read this book, but I do know that back when I was working at the Y most of the 4th and 5th grade boys loved these books. And the movie catered right to the appropriate genre. It was definitely a movie perfect for that age group. It was the standard boys gross-up humor. But even as an adult I thought it was pretty amusing.

The main character is Greg, who's starting middle school. There's his somewhat dorky best friend, his mean and obnoxious older brother, and his somewhat annoying younger brother. There's a girl, who's maybe possibly a love interest, except for the fact 6th grade boys aren't really into girls yet.

While I clearly wasn't the target demographic I still enjoyed the movie. It reminded me a lot of the Nickelodeon movies and TV shows I used to watch as a kid. I could be crazy here, but I did feel a sense of early 90s nostalgia watching the movie, instead of feeling like it was similar to present day tween shows. But that could be just the fact that this was the type of movie I watch back then. I would say this is an almost surprisingly enjoyable movie, especially if you're looking to relive a little of your childhood.

~Shoshanah

No comments:

Post a Comment