Friday, February 5, 2010

I said "Brr" it's cold in here

In an effort to save money, the boy and I are making a point to not use the heater in the new house. Although if we're being honest, this was our tactic back in the apartment as well. It worked out really well there and almost quartered our electricity bill ($20 a month anyone?). And while it'd be nice if our electricity bill is as low in the house in the apartment, realistically it will probably be a little more expensive. (Looking to the future, the goal would also be to minimize air conditioning use in the summer.)

Now even though we didn't really use the heater in either place, its been quite a bit colder in the house. Partly I'm sure because there aren't lots of other apartments connected to us. But I think another big thing going on is the floor. Back in the apartment everything was carpeted (except the obvious like the kitchen and bathrooms). Whereas here at the house, the living room is wood and the kitchen/dinning room area is tile, and those are the areas where we spend most of our time. Which means the floor stays a lot cooler here in the house.

As you would imagine, with cold floors comes cold feet. To fight this I spent most of my time in the house wearing fuzzy socks. I don't normally buy these for myself, but they seem to be a pretty popular holiday presents, so I have quite a collection of them to choose from. And the boy? Well he would love to wear fuzzy socks as well, except he doesn't have any.

The easy fix would be for him to go out and buy some, but have you ever tried buying fuzzy socks in men's sizes? Target doesn't have them. Sears didn't have them. I think the boy checked Wal-mart too for them. I guess grown men aren't a big fan of fuzzy socks? Or that cold feet are more manly? Whatever the case may be, he still wants a pair of fuzzy socks. I think it'd be a great Valentine's Day present for him, except I have no idea where to find them. If anyone has any ideas as where I might be able to find fuzzy socks for him I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Do you think we're trying for trying not to use the heater? Or is it something you'd try as well. After all, isn't that what blankets are for?

~Shoshanah

11 comments:

  1. I don't know about fuzzy socks but the bf and I spent our winter walking around in the Smartwool hiking socks which are super thick and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention, J and I rarely use the heater. If you're going to go that route I would definitely suggest an electric blanket for warming the bed up right before you get in. Then turn it off once you're warm and go to bed. I did that through college and it saved my roommate and I alot of money in our poorly insulated apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a fireplace? use it! Scott & I use ours all the time instead of the heater.

    Also, you may want to get levelized billing if you have entergy. it makes a world of difference!

    and we got new windows last year and it makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have a fireplace? use it! Scott & I use ours all the time instead of the heater.

    Also, you may want to get levelized billing if you have entergy. it makes a world of difference!

    and we got new windows last year and it makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur with BakerGirl above. I have no idea where to find fuzzy socks in men's sizes but the wool hiking socks are definitely a favorite of mine and in my family. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's crazy! Esp since it's not super cold down there. I would also try electric blankets. Maybe you could get the boy some sort of house slippers to keep his feet warm?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I got married, I rarely used my heater, and kept it pretty low and only on at night. I kept my bills so low, so it made me happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's crazy, though I probably wouldn't/couldn't try it. I HATE being cold more than anything. I've also never lived on my own really where I had to pay my own bills, so I'm sure when I will I'll be a bit more frugal. Keep warm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SPEAKING of this I just got a $200 heat bill in the mail (for 2 months) UGH. STUPID CANADA.

    I immediately cranked DOWN my thermostat and me and Webster are currently curled up in sweats, sweatshirt, socks and a blanket. I'm still a little cold but I'll live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think there's a good middle ground where you can warm up with covers and clothes and slippers, and some space heaters. As long as you're in that middle ground then you're good :) If you're freezing all the time with all that... maybe you should heat the house? Hope you can keep on saving money!!

    ReplyDelete