Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Foodcation

It shouldn't come as a surprise to my loyal readers, but most of the picture I took of my trip to San Diego were of food. So I figured the best way to write about my trip, was really to do it through the food I ate. Don't worry I didn't take a picture of everything. There was a meal or two where I forgot my camera, plus I didn't think you needed to see a picture of the handfuls of cheez-it mix I snacked on at the hotel. But here's the rest. Presenting, my Weekend Foodcation in San Diego.

The boy booked our hotel, and choose the Doubletree downtown. I was excited when I heard this, since I knew Doubletrees are the cookie hotel. Sure enough when we checked in Thursday afternoon they presented us with warm chocolate chip cookies.
DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie
After we checked in, we took a walk in search of an early dinner. We wound up at the BurgerLoungue where I had a turkey burger and we split an order of fries.
Turkey Burger
The best part of the burger was the amount of basil in the patty. I thought I was an inspired idea that turned out to be really tasty.

The following morning, we had breakfast in the hotel, and I went with the breakfast pasta.
Breakfast Pasta
It was pasta with sausage, feta, spinach, tomatoes, and scrambled eggs. Another inspired idea, but it didn't quite turn out. It just felt a little oily, and wasn't as good as I had hoped. But I'm sure you could easily take this idea and turn it into something pretty amazing.

Friday night was my grandma's birthday dinner at Operacafe. I went with mushroom ravioli with bolognese sauce.
Mushroom Ravioli with Bolognaise
For dessert the boy and I "split" a rum soaked cake.
Rum Soaked Cake
And by split I mean he took one bite, and I ate the rest. A perfect way to split dessert from my point of view.

Friday morning it was back to the hotel for breakfast.
Macadamia Nut French Toast
This time I went with the macadamia nut French toast, which wound up being a much better choice than the breakfast pasta.

For lunch that day we stopped at Point Loma Seafood, where I decided on fish tacos.
Fish Tacos
I really love fish tacos in general, but they're a dish that really hasn't caught on in Louisiana yet. So I try to make a point to have them almost anytime I'm back in California.

For our last meal in California, I made sure we went to Panera.
French Onion Soup in a Bread Bowl
Panera was my favorite in college, and I probably went once a month. Unfortunately for me, Panera has yet to make it to Louisiana, which means this was my first time eating Panera in almost four years. I went with an old favorite, french onion soup in a bread bowl with half an Asian chicken salad.

While Panera was the last meal in San Diego, it wasn't the last thing I ate. Instead that was dessert at Ben & Jerry's.
Triple Caramel Chunk
I went with another old favorite here, triple caramel chunk. I used to love this flavor, until Ben & Jerry's stopped making it. Then wound up bringing it back somewhat recently, and its just as good as ever.

I think it might be a little crazy that I can recap my trip with just the food. But I try to post some non-edible highlights as well. But until then, anyone else ever go on a trip and come back to discover almost all of the photos were taken of food?

~Shoshanah

9 comments:

  1. no, but only because I'm a photographer and I want to take pictures of EVERYTHING! LOL

    yummy eats! I love fish tacos. I make some killer ones with mahi-mahi, an avocado sauce (i blend avocado with some lime juice, cilantro and nonfat plain yogurt) and a cabbage slaw (i make a dressing for red & green cabbage with some rice vinegar and sugar) I season the mahi-mahi with ground roasted chipotle pepper and grill or saute it and then put it in flour tortillas. OMG it is so good. :) I made them when we went to Destin for Labor Day with friends and even the non-seafood eaters raved about them. :)

    Now you're making me think I need to make some ASAP. LOL

    I usually serve them with green rice (rice cooked in chicken stock) mixed with ground up cilantro, spinach, onions, and garlic.

    and grilled veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way- if you ever make it down the road 60 miles- email me and I can show you some AWESOME cheap and tasty eats down here in NOLA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes food is just SO good and LOOKS so good you can't help but take a photo of it! There are so many days when I think I should be a food blogger because dang my food looks good!

    That rum cake looks the most delicious, but all the food you posted looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cripes!! That all looks awesome! I'm totally the same way...when Ryan and I went to Louisiana last summer I took lots of food pics! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that food looks so good that I don't even know what to say!!! Except that I'm totally salivating... and want to recreate some of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, this is so weird...I was at Doubletree in SD {on Front St off the 5??} last Friday through Sunday! How crazy! We did a lot of eating too - Richard Walker's Pancake House, Rock Bottom, Tabule in the Gaslamp District {so good, btw}, Top of the Hyatt, and room service! I basically plan my vacations and trips around food and I have found that most of my pictures are of it too! Oh and I also loved the warm cookie we received when we checked in!

    Anyway, I thought it was so funny that you were at the same hotel when I was there! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with your ideas on splitting a desert :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM... I LOVE the Double Tree cookies. They're SO good.

    ReplyDelete