Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickman
I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's book (except for her newest), and enjoyed them all, so I assumed I'd enjoyed the books she wrote as Madeleine Wickham as well. I actually saw this book being with the bargain priced books, and since I wanted to read it eventually, figured it would make sense to pick it up.

The book is about Fleur Daxeny (And yes, every time I see that name I think of Fleur Delacour from Harry Potter. Turns out The Gatecrasher was actually written in 1998 before Fleur Delacour appeared in Goblet of Fire). To put it simply Fleur is a gold digger. Although it might be more accurate to classify her as a con-woman. Someone who tries to get rich men to fall in love with her, and they she steals their money. The novel is about what happens during one of her "relationships."

With a lot Sophie Kinsella's books the main characters seem to be the same person to me. I always felt that you could easily see Becky Bloomwood as the main character of Can you Keep a Secret or The Undomestic Goddess. But Fleur was cut out of a completely different cloth, which I liked. I found it hard to like Fleur's character herself, but I'm not sure you were meant to like her.

I actually liked the book as whole a lot more than I thought I would. Although I will say the end leaves a lot of ends untied. I'd love there to be a sequel to this book, but since it was written over ten years ago I don't think its going to happen. I'd say the book is a little more deeper than those she wrote as Sophie Kinsella, and I'm definitely willing to read the rest of Madeleine Wickman's books to see if that continues to be true.

~Shoshanah

6 comments:

  1. I totally thought of Fleur Delacour as well! And it's funny you should talk about that book now because I literally found out just a few days ago that sophie kinsella writes under different names!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read some of her books she wrote under that pen name.... I love her shopaholic series... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked that book when I read it, I don't remember it that well but I remember liking it. I haven't really liked the other Madeline Wickham books that I've read since, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book too! (cause I got it for $5 in the bargain bin haha). I thought it was pretty cute. I liked the story line, but felt it was a little weak when they didn't explain to the family what she does (gold digging).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I've only read one other Wickham book and I liked it, so maybe I'll try this one!

    ReplyDelete