Sunday, August 16, 2009

Up in the Mountains

I'm so excited to finally post in my first on of Kelly's Corner's "Show us your life." This weeks theme is shows us your favorite vacation spots. I've been pretty lucky to travel alot, but even so picking a favorite for me wasn't very hard. Was it one of my trips last year to Japan or Israel? Or maybe somewhere in Europe? On separate trips I've been to England, Italy, and France. Or maybe it was somewhere in the United States? I've been on trips to Destin (Florida), NYC, Las Vegas, Niagara Falls, The Florida Keys, and Seattle to name a few. But as crazy as it may seem it isn't any of those.

I love going camping in the mountains. Up in the Sierra Nevada's particularly. We went camping as a family as long as I can remember. When I was younger we mainly went to King's Canyon or Calaveras Big Trees, but as I got older we started going more often to Rock Creek, which is outside Mammoth.
img036
Playing in the dirt with my best friend next to the campfire pit

Yes, there was a long drive involved, but a long drive meant there were fun places to stop on the way. Driving to Calaveras meant we got to stop at the apple stand. I huge stand that sold fresh apple juice, homemade apple doughnuts, and my favorite apple popsicles. Driving to Rock Creek meant we stopped at the Beef Jerky place, where the sold literally the world's best beef jerky (homemade of course). Their teriyaki barbecue is pretty much to die for.
Emerald Lake with Sara
With the same friend as the previous picture, July 2002

Once you actually got to the campsite what was there to do? Of course there's all the typical camping things, hiking and fishing and the like. Although what I most like about the mountains is the ability to just do nothing. I'd always bring a few books and would spend most of the day reading. I still remember reading Jurassic Park up in the mountains around 1994 or so.
Gibbs Family and Friends Group Photo at Rock Creek
My Parents, My brother and his two friends, Me and my college roommate, July 2004

Then of course there is the food. Who doesn't love s'mores? And there's the actual experience of sitting around the campfire roasting the perfect marshmallow. But besides that, food always tastes so much better in the mountains, pancakes especially. And have I mentioned how gorgeous it is? And how many stars you can see at night?
In Rock Creek, CA
Myself while camping at Rock Creek, July 2002

If I had to pick a 2nd favorite vacation it would still be the mountains. Except instead of going camping in the summer, I'd be going skiing in the winter.
img062
Skiing at Mammoth 1999 (Yes, this is me with the same friend as the first two pictures)

Overall, then if I could I'd spent part of every summer and every winter up in the mountain. Or at least alternate years going camping and going skiing. I know camping isn't most people's ideal vacation spot, but I love it, and I'm sure there's at least of few of you out there who do as well!

~Shosahanh

10 comments:

  1. Ooo... I've been there as well, and it IS gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these photos! so fun! and those are some amazingly beautiful spots you've been to. I haven't been camping in years (since girl scouts, I think!) but I would love to go again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
    I loved looking at your pictures...I need to camping again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to agree with you! I'm definitely not the most worldly person - but some of the best vacations I've ever been on were camping, fishing, hiking in the beatiful rocky mountains in B.C.!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love those photos. I would love to go camping and so would the kids but my husband is more of a indoors kind of guy. Maybe one day I can talk him into it. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow~ you've been so many great places!!!

    I love love the old photos, especially the photo of you and your BFF as kids. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! That sounds and looks like an amazing place to be at.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful pictures and how fun that you always got to bring a friend. I haven't been out west yet but hope to make the trek with my family when the kids are a little older. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those pictures are SO pretty...I've never been to that area but def want to plan a trip soon!

    ReplyDelete