Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Is It Worth It?

The other day I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I just went to the slightly ghetto-ish one down the street instead of driving all the way to Fresh Market or Whole Foods. I really only needed to buy potatoes and milk, and didn't really seen the need. (Potatoes to make mashed potatoes, and milk for the boy to drink.)

I don't think its really a shopping trip unless I go down every isle so of course I wound up with a few extra items, a jar of pesto, some different cheeses, a bag of lentils, and a bag of Stacy's Pita Chips (parmesan, garlic, and herb flavor). This is pretty much why I try to avoid going grocery shopping myself. I like going with a boy because I get a 2nd opinion, and someone to veto purchases I put in the cart. (Like the fact I probably do not need to buy ice cream, cookies, and 2 kinds of Little Debbie snack cakes.) But I was by myself, so I got to make all the decisions.

Now I've never actually tried Stacy's Pita Chips before this. I remember seeing them featured on the Food Network, and thinking they sounded really good. And I see them all the time, but this was my first time actually deciding to see what they were all about.

I go to check out and the girl scans my groceries she tries to make conversation, "Wow, these chips are a waste of money." Seriously, I thought? I wasn't sure really how to respond. Clearly I didn't think they were a waste of money since I had made the decision to buy them. I'm not sure what she was expecting to happen. Maybe I should have said something like, "I had no idea they were a waste of money. I must not have been thinking when I decided to buy them, and now that you have let me know I'm wasting my money I've decided to buy them." Or instead I could have said something really mean like, "I think your whole store is a waste of money," and just left without buying anything.

Instead, I just kind of smile and laughed with her, which was probably the polite thing to do. I guess I should only buy "waste of money food" at places like Whole Foods and Fresh Market where that's what they expect you to do.

And the chips themselves? I will admit there's not a lot of chips in the bag. But they are really yummy. Definitely not a waste of money to me, and its that the only opinion that matters?

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. Ugh poor customer service exists everywhere. I would have asked her why she felt that way and tried to engage her. But you're right. She shouldn't have said that and let you eat your chips in peace.
    Pioneer Woman did a whole series of recipes using those chips. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was rude of her! Why would she comment on on groceries? I don't think she's there to question or reinforce purchases...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How annoying! Let me guess she was probably 17 years old?

    I laughed when I read the bit about how you like going shopping with a boy...for me it's the exact opposite! When Ryan comes with our grocery bill is double and then I spend the next 2 weeks stuffing my face with Twinkies and Fruit Rollups! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That check out girl sounds a little bitter at life... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This happened to me at a grocery store this spring. I was buying these gluten free animal crackers. When the person scanned them, she made a similar comments and I said - well, I can't have gluten, so my options are limited, so I guess I have to pay the $8 for this bag of animal crackers so I can have an easy snack.

    I am sure the supermarkets would not be happy if they knew checkout clerks were making comments like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. weird. and random. I don't know why someone would say that. some people have no filter though... they just say whatever pops into their head!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats really weird! eh, tell her to shove it :) haha. and i LOVE those pita chips, buy them all you want sista girl

    ReplyDelete