Sunday, July 26, 2009

Favorite Books: Children's Style

Recently me and the boy had to buy presents for his niece's 2nd birthday. (Her birthday and party are next weekend.) We were told to buy "outside things," so we wound up buying a bubble mower and for fun threw in a few extras. We probably could have been done there, but I felt we needed to buy her some books. I love books now, and clearly that came from somewhere because I have fond memories of so my books from my childhood. It was hard to pick out just one of two. I can only imagine the number of books that I'm going to wind up buying whenever we do finally have children (which is most definitely several years away). So without further adieu some of my favorites, some you've probably heard of, some maybe not.

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
Pretty much a classic I think, and I'm sure pretty much everyone has heard of this. I think its a book pretty much every little girl should own.






The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
Another classic, although I think a little less well know. Basically its the story of a house in the middle of the country. Except cities slowly encroach onto the house, and instead of being a new house full of sunshine it gets a little run-down and the tall building block out the sun. And of course since its a children's book at the end the house it bought by a family who moves the actual house back out to the country.

The High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake by Nancy Willard
I LOVED this book when I was little, although I think it might be out of print now. I will say if you ever do see this book you should look through it. I love the pictures and love the story, and of course it includes the recipe for High Rise Glorious Skittle Skat Roarious Sky Pie Angel Food Cake so you can make it yourself.

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Yet another award winning book. When I was little we just called it "The Lupin Lady" book. Even now anytime my mom sees lupins she points them out to me and I think of this book.

I could easily, easily go on. I mean just listing a few titles there's Blueberries for Sal, Where the Wild Things Are, and of course Goodnight Moon, but I would probably be here forever.

Now of course, here are the actual books we wound up buying for her!

The Little Engine That Could
We did actually by the board book. I figured that since she'll only be 2, she's not quite at the age to really appreciate an actual book. And I figured a board book might be a little bit safer. Of course I didn't realize till I brought it home that the board book I bought is actually an abridged version! Seriously! They have to abridge children's books even shorter? But I guess the essence is still there, although if I had known I might not have bought it. And if you want to know the actual book was written by Watty Piper.

A Baby A Sister For Frances by Russel Hoban
I loved all the Francis books, and I'm pretty sure I had them all. And since the birthday girl will become a big sister in October I figured its fitting. She will be having a little brother, but I had a little brother and still had this book. I figured its still a good choice.

Anyone else have any children's books they look back on and remember fondly? Or if you have children now, do you have any favorite books you like reading to them?

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. I liked a lot of those when I was little! I also enjoyed the Angelina Ballerina books, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Berenstein Bears books, and Eric Carle books.
    My Grandma was a librarian and my Mom loves to read, so I literally got books for every occasion and learned to use the library on my own by the time I was in Kindergarten. I'm now a voracious reader and I own more books than anything else.
    I think a love for reading is one of the best gifts that a family can give a child! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Miss Rumphius, it is my all-time favorite! I have a signed copy of it too :) Even though I am far from having children, I find myself buying children's books anyway....because I love them so much! I always buy books as gifts. My mother is a librarian and I've thought so much about getting an MLS. I still may one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the children books I read were french, so I doubt anyone would know them :) I absolutely LOVED Madeline though :) Still do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love the little engine that could!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books are the perfect gift. Love your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodnight Moon, Charlotte's Web, and all the Shel Silverstein books are favorites of mine! Also love The Little House!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I loved Madeline! I also had all of the Francis books... I'm def going to try to find the little house book. I've never heard of it but would love to get it for my bf's niece since her 2nd bday is coming up in the next 2 weeks!

    I also recommend the Lilly books. They were my constant companion as a kid and their illustrations are great.

    ReplyDelete