Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's a Blog, Not a Memoir

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
I had heard a lot about this book but wasn't sure I wanted to read it. My co-worker had the book and lent it to me which meant I didn't have to buy it so that was in its favor. And I brought this book with me to California a few weeks ago. Trapped in the car on the 8 hour drive from Long Beach to Santa Cruz there wasn't a whole lot else to do. Thankfully I don't normally get car sick. I think the reason I was turned off from reading her book was because it was a memoir. I knew she had also written four books total. Did a person really need to write four different memoirs?

Then I actually read the book. About halfway through I realized, "She's a blogger! That's where she got her book deal!" Is it bad that I think to myself that I wouldn't want to read a general memoir, but I will want to read it knowing its based on a blog. A bit of a double standard there don't you think?

Once I had that figured out I really did enjoy the book. I found it funny and captivating. I know there are people out there who haven't been able to get into her books. Maybe if I hadn't been stuck in a car that might have been the case here. However, I had the book finished within minutes of arriving at the apartment. My co-worker did lend me her second book, which I am planning on reading.

I do have one complaint, although it isn't actually about the book. After I go home from Santa Cruz I went to her blog hoping to read some of the entries that turned into the book. But it looks like she's taken down the original blog that got her the book deal. There are a good amount of archives on her current blog, but all from around when Bitter is the New Black was published. Anyone know if her early entries are still around somewhere? Or does anyone currently read her blog? I did try to look at some of her current entries, but most seemed to be listed dates on her book tour. It looks like she's more of an actual book author than blog author now.

~Shoshanah

P.S. And if you're curious, LSU baseball won last. Which means we're the current NCAA baseball champions! Again, Geaux Tigers!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!! she's a great author!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've heard LOTS of good things about her and that book but I did not know she was a blogger! Interesting! I will have to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to start reading her books. From reading blogs, I've heard how much everyone seems to enjoy them and I would like to check them out for myself.

    I didn't know she got her start as a blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book but I hadn't heard she was a blogger as well. I might have to add this to my summer read list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had heard of this book on another blog but never knew she was a blogger either... sounds like I will have to add this to my ever-growing list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No idea she was a blogger! Awesome! :-)

    I'm glad you liked the book I think I'm going to download it on my iphone sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to check this book out. I always like it when I find out a book is by a former/current blogger. Like Orangette's book - A Homemade Life. Which is really good, if you are into cooking. She kind of tells the story of her life through her recipes. It's worth checking out if you like to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jen Lancaster. I just finished the 2nd book and I loved it. Shes just such a different writer. She uses wit and humor and you can tell her stories are genuine. My mom couldn't get into Bitter, but I think you have to realize beforehand that it's a different kind of leisure book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She IS great! All of her books are fabulous! I've noticed lately that her blog is mainly regarding the tour but usually it's her normal, sarcastic self just like the books. You should definitely check back for it! That's weird about the original posts before Bitter, I wonder why they're gone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a very good review, I'm very interested in reading that book now!!

    ReplyDelete