Monday, March 16, 2009

Bank to Bank

The first bank account I ever had was a joint account at Wells Fargo. I was in high school in Southern California. I was excited to have an account there because, well haven't you seen The Music Man?

"Papa! Papa! The Wells Fargo Wagon is coming! The Wells Fargo is coming!"

Plus look at their logo. There's an actual wagon and horses on it. Like a stagecoach from the wild west. What's not to love?

I went off to college in Maryland. Where they have no Wells Fargos. I think I lasted a year before I started a student account with Bank of America. I figured, it's Bank of America, if I move somewhere else it will still be in America and I'll be fine. It is after all in both California and Maryland. My favorite part of BoA? Their Save the Change plan, which rounds up every purchase and puts the difference in your savings account. For example, if you spend $3.75 at the store, BoA will automatically transfer $0.25 into your savings account. It makes putting money into your savings account really easy.

Fast forward a few years, and I went to grad school in Louisiana. There are no Bank of Americas in Louisiana, at least none within 100 miles of Baton Rouge. After living here over two years I figured it was time to open an account here. Mainly so I would actually be able to deposit checks into my account. The goal would be to find a bank that is actually in both California and Louisiana. Turns out, there are none! Seriously. I decided to go with Chase, which is fairly big here. In hopes that if I ever move to a new state they will have either Bank of America or Chase there. We'll see...

~Shoshanah

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem when I lived in South Carolina! Very few "national" banks too choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what college did you go to in Maryland?? I lived there for 5 years! I was in Kensington, but went to school in Bethesda, and my parents worked in D.C. ;)

    ReplyDelete